Celebrate Ubuntu Global Jam with an Ubuntu Aubergine Dip!
1 medium-sized onion
2 small green peppers
1 green chilli pepper (optional)
1/2 clove garlic
5 tbsp Greek yoghurt
pinch caster sugar
4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
3. Meanwhile, peel and chop the onion very finely. Remove the stalk, seeds and inner membrane of the green peppers and the chilli pepper if used. Chop these very finely also.
4. Fry the onion and peppers very slowly in 2 tbsp of the oil for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until soft but not at all browned.
5. Take the aubergines out of the oven when they are done and allow to cool for a few minutes before scooping out and discarding any seed-bearing sections with a spoon.
6. Cut the aubergines into small pieces, place in the food processor with the lemon juice, the remaining oil, the peeled garlic clove, yoghurt, 1/2 tsp salt and a pinch of sugar; process until very smooth.
7. Transfer this thick puree into a serving bowl, stir in the onion and pepper mixture and add a little more salt and freshly ground pepper. Chill for 30 minutes.
8. Garnish with black olives. Serve with pitta bread.