I can’t verify that this will work anywere else in the world. It works for me with Pidgin 2.6.6, with a machine sitting in Cape Town, South Africa connected via MWEB.
- Download & Install the latest version of Pidgin.
- Open Pidgin and go to Add / Edit Account window of Pidgin.
- From the drop-down box choose XMPP as the Protocol.
- For the Screen name enter your Google Id (Gmail Id). eg. ubuntupunk (without any @ symbol or domain).
- Server will automatically populate with gmail.
- Leave password blank and save password unchecked
- Under Advanced: Force old (port 5223) SSL: Checked
- Allow plaintext auth over unencrypted streams: Un-Checked
- Connect Port: 443
- Connect Server: talk.google.com
- Proxy type: Use Gnome Proxy Settings
- Start Pidgin. It should ask for password, enter and check save password
1. Under accounts. Scroll down to your account. Check to see if actions are available. If they are not then there is something wrong.
2. Go to this site
3. Invite yourself to Gtalk to VOIP.
4. Log into you Gmail Account.
5. Check to see if the invite has arrived.
6. Accept the invitation